Reference for Bach's "Toccata & Fugue" background?

In my music theory class many years ago, my prof gave us background for T&C in D-minor (the "Phantom of the Opera" organ piece). I could really use a definitive reference for this story. Supposedly, The Church in those days had banned music in major keys (ionian mode), as they were "known"... show more In my music theory class many years ago, my prof gave us background for T&C in D-minor (the "Phantom of the Opera" organ piece). I could really use a definitive reference for this story.

Supposedly, The Church in those days had banned music in major keys (ionian mode), as they were "known" to elicit "inappropriate feelings" (sexual stimulation). Bach wrote the Vatican, requesting to use majors, claiming something to the effect that any competent composer could elicit any emotion desired in any chosen mode (dorian, phrygian, lydian, etc.). The Vatican denied his request. He responded with "Toccata & Fugue in d-minor".

Can anyone supply good references to support or refute this tale?
Update: Thanks for the suggestion. I did a web search before I came to "Answers". One reference mentions "the Vatican tried to ban it", but that's the closest I could find.