Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 1 decade ago

can i wipe a winme and use it with a linux sytem, and if so, how?!!?

window millenium edition... 1 hard drive

4 Answers

Relevance
  • D_S_
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

Well, the easiest way to do this with what you have is to make a Win ME start up disk. To do this, insert a floppy into the A drive and open My Computer in ME. Right click on the floppy "A" drive and select "Format" from the drop down menu. In the next windows make sure the "copy system files" box is checked. When it is done, in the My Computer window browse to c:\windows\command and copy the file fdisk.exe to the floppy "A" drive. With the floppy in the system, reboot the computer and it will start to the floppy with just an A:\ prompt, DOS only. Type in FDISK and hit the Enter key. You will now agree with a couple of messages and then you will be able to list, and delete the existing partitions on the system. When finished you will be prompted to reboot to save the changes/deletions.

Now grab your favorite flavor of Linux CD and make sure the BIOS is set to boot from the CD Drive. Boot to this CD and follow the instructions to set up your new operating system.

Good Luck

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Manny
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

You would want to wipe out your HD and ME only if you don't really want dual boot and waste HD space.

Linux and Windows can co-exist together. When you install Linux it will ask if you want to create/modify your partition and how much space you want to allocate to it. You can also wipe out your primary partition to install Linux on it wiping ME completely.

Once you finish your installation and boot the pc you can decide which OS to boot into if you chose dual boot with two partitions or more.

Another option is to use VMware or MS Virtual PC. This way you don't have to mess with your HD or dual boot. The guest operating system will run on top of the host operating system. This might take more resources, so your computer might feel very slow if you don't have much RAM/CPU/HD.

Virtualization is what I use at home (MS Virtual PC and VMWare depending on the server)

Cheers!

• duce
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

If you meant, can you use Linux instead of Millennium on the same PC, sure you can

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Hi,

You may do this easily using a Linux boot able disk.

For more help, please feel free to contact our experts on http://www.maincorporated.in/

Regards

Girish Gunjan

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.