Atheists, fine-tuned-universe question rewind?

I asked why the universe was exactly right for life to appear and got the response "If it wasn't, we wouldn't be here."

Sorry, I don't get this answer. Does this change the improbability involved?

Update:

Is this an appeal to a multiverse?

Update 2:

I'm not saying it was a bad answer. Just that I didn't get it and would appreciate an explanation.

Update 3:

I'm not saying my life or even human life. Any kind of life.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Well just because you don't understand the answer doesn't invalidate it...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

However improbable it may be, it still happened. improbable things happen all the time. i think the answer meant that it doesnt really matter what the odds were against it because it happened and we are here. also, this universe has the elements that it does and from that, we became through evolution, it isnt as if we humans were always meant to be and so this universe was created. it just happened that way. if things were different there would be some other life for on some other planet like earth.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

It's not fine-tuned. Well, it is, but not by a creator. The fact is, we live on a planet that is just the right distance from the sun to have a temperature that we can survive in, suitable gravity to attract water and air, and many other factors crucial to our survival. But the fact that we live in such a place is not evidence of God-- we couldn't live anywhere else! The physical conditions for life were set before we evolved, so we naturally evolved to survive in the conditions we had available to us. Think about how many planets there are out there, and life has not yet been found to have evolved on any of them except this one. If there was a creator, why didn't he create life on some of those as well? Its because of the sheer improbability that life can exist-- but a God should have been able to create life on any planet, just by varying the conditions required for survival! It would be better "proof" of God if humans were found living somewhere where the conditions were impossible for us, than somewhere where they are exactly suited to us.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Technically, the universe ISN'T exactly right for our forms of life...... we cannot go into space without dying due to the vaccuum of space and no oxygen... not all planets are capable of sustaining the life found on earth.

If the entire universe were created solely for us, don't you think that it would've been made less hazardous for us to explore? Or am i supposed to believe that some god created everything in this universe, but ONLY this planet out of the unknown number of planets that are actually out there is the one that some god chose to give us to live on?! So would it be a sin to explore when a god has given all we need to live on this planet that is perfect for us? Would this be our "eden" and we don't even realize it? Are we like adam & eve? God tells us not to get curious but we do it anyway & explore the universe?! I don't buy it.... there's so much out there & so many other planets that are ripe for life I do not believe that this planet was created just for us. It had to have been formed out of particular "circumstances" as life was. If any other planet had the same circumstances I believe that life similar to the life on earth would be replicated... probably in a different form as humans, but it would be created nonetheless.

The answer you received was a cop out that they all use to prove their case. It's like the answer you get when you ask for proof of god and they say "the proof is all around you." it's basically their way of saying that they can only think the way they've been programmed to think.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Again, the flaw is asking "why?" Why was this done just for me? It wasn't.

Factoring the probability of a past event always comes out 100%. What were the odds before it happened? Who knows? It could be one of those things. The big bang HAD to happen that way, just like gravity HAS to pull and object toward the Earth.

If the universe didn't have the conditions necessary for life, no one would care. It did happen, so you care.

• 1 decade ago

Honestly, you are asking a question about ideas that are at the extreme ends of our understanding. There is no simple, 5 sentence answer to this other than it did happen, so it must've happened. To get any more detail would require someone a heck of a lot smarter than is answering questions on this forum.

But, yes, it is improbable but not impossible. Does that make it any clearer?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The point you are missing is this. Whatever situation exists right now at this present moment, the odds of it happening exactly as it did are astronomical. For events to unfold exactly as they have right now there are millions and millions of other ways we could have arrived at the present moment in time. You see it doesn't matter what state we are in, life appears, life didn't appear, or something else happened - it doesn't change the odds. Get it? Saying that for life to have appeared, such and such circumstances had to have happened exactly right, doesn't mean a whole lot.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It doesn't matter HOW improbable the conditions were.

The fact that it happened proves that it CAN happen.

Keep in mind: our universe has roughly 100 BILLION galaxies in it, each with an esimated 10-30 BILLION planets in it; and the universe has been around for over 13 BILLION years. That's a LOT of opportunities for just the right set of conditions to occur for life to begin....

And again: it only had to happen ONCE.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Most of the universe seems to be barren of any type of life.

Most of it is near empty space, inhospitable asteroids, chunks of ice, and flaming gaseous giants incapable of supporting any kind of life.

So far, this planet is the only one we are currently aware of that supports any type of life at all. Certainly the only one in our solar system, and the jury is still out on the rest of the universe, although it does stand to reason that a similar planet with potential for life could exist considering the sheer number of planets likely in the universe.

Overall, the universe seems almost completely indifferent to life.

Where's this finely tuned universe you speak of?

I'd like to visit.

• 1 decade ago

I saw on the news where a baby fell out of a 5 story window and landed on the street without a scratch. A paramedic at the scene said that the chances of that happening were one in a million.

Does that mean that the baby died? No

Does that mean that the paramedic was wrong?

Does that mean that a one in a million happening occurred?

It happened. End of story.

• Jess H
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

They're basically trying to say what Balaam’s Talking Donkey said best.

“Just because conditions are sufficient for you to live, doesn't mean they were specifically created for you to live.”

And if you really think about it, it's not really all THAT fine-tuned. We're the only speck in our galaxy that is able to support life. There's meteorites crashing into planets all the time, (including our own.) We're just lucky that we haven't had "The Big One" in our lifetimes.)

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.