what is the crime rate in taiwan? Is it safe for a gal to walk alone at around 9pm?

I am thinking of backpacking there.

um, if you are in city 9PM is like 5PM in a busy mall back at home before christmas. you are so safe, the most dangerous thing you will be doing is pushing other people out of your way and apologizing to them for bumping them.

if you are in a night market the worst thing that could happen to you in the crowd is a pickpocket. stay reasonably aware of where your purse is and your wallet. if you are very afraid just carry cash in a few different spots on you and leave important things in a safe or just don't bring them.

Most crime is the if you dont see me it didnt happen variety or the lying screwover variety. Hit and run car accidents are the worst common crime. Open muggings and violence are very very very rare, outside of the pub scene.

I feel safer walking the parks here at night than back at home. park policemen do regular sweeps on their scooters and usually there is someone else in eyesight and they are well lit.

the most dangerous thing you are likely to encounter here is the traffic. there are few rules apparent in traffic but if you follow this guideline: always look both ways before crossing 5 times as fast as possible- and remember you are the lowest on the totem pole as a pedestrian. everything else will go first, bicycles will beat you. then scooters, then cars, then taxi, then blue truck then big freight truck then at the top is the construction heavy equipment. stay out of their way. they might slow down but its not likely and don't press your luck. its cheaper for them to back over you and finish you off than to leave you alive.

you can avoid all that by using the MRT in Taipei. It is open until midnight and is well patrolled by police and generally no problems occur. if you go out after midnight see using taxis below.

Using taxis is affordable and convienient. You may need to close your eyes and hope today is not your taxi drivers unlucky day. lately the taxi drivers in Taipei city have been trained and can speak english better and may even have done some safty courses for better service to tourists. The last 2 times i used the taxis in Taipei I felt safe and there was even seatbelts.

other than traffic I have no other warnings for you. I guess if you are a drinker, dont get drunk alone in a dark smoky room surrounded by boys unless you enjoy that kind of thing.

1

Source(s): Criminal Records Search Database - http://CriminalRecords.raiwi.com/?BAdu

Taiwan Crime Rate

I've been living here over two years now. It's very safe and I have never felt threatened.

In fact, at night time Taiwan comes alive with Night-markets and other festivities, no matter what time, people are always out and about.

Your biggest concern should be the traffic - drivers are pretty awful and don't pay any attention to traffic lights, the police aren't much better as well. There are a few pick pockets - but nothing like the amount we are used to in the West or indeed other Asian countries.

To sum up, yes it's safe for you to walk around after 9pm, but it wouldn't hurt having another person to watch your back - I've done a lot of back-packing and can swear at that!

Chicken Mayonnaise Sandwich, the crime rate in Taiwan is low as compared to other Asian cities. We almost don't get to hear about pickpocketing and rape in the news here. However, this does not mean that they do not happen (they can and do.) There's always this hundred to one chance that it could happen. Therefore, it would be wise to guard well your belongings. Never put your wallet, other valuables and passport in your backpocket or inside the front pocket of your backpack. It's also best if you have a companion with you. It can get pretty lonely at 9 pm.; especially in rural places that are out of the downtown areas, the streets are not well-lit after dark.

There's also one other thing that you need to look out for, and that is crazy, discourteous and careless drivers. Be a bit vigilant when you walk by the side of the street. When crossing a street, always glance sideways and back to look for oncoming cars/scooters. While the crime rate is not that high, the accident rate is.

Go with the people that agree that it is safe here.

Haha, here's a story for ya. This is a holiday weekend in Taiwan so my friend and I rented a car and drove south for a couple of days. Yesterday we were in the Kaoshiong area and we parked the car on a city street and took a ferry to a nearby island where we spent the WHOLE day. When we got back to the car, the I couldn't find the keys anywhere. I thought they had fallen out of my purse, but there they were, hanging off the trunk keyhole, and there they were ALL DAY! Only in Taiwan!

Taiwan (especially the East District of Taipei) is the 5th safest country I've been to (right behind Japan, South Korea, Monaco, and Hong Kong).

Like most other places, the more populated the street is, the less likely you'll encounter violent crimes.

While you need to be aware of pick-pocket in any large city, I personally haven't encounter any during my 15 years of living in Taiwan. Note: I don't carry bag behind me and I'm always aware of the people near my belongings.

While nothing is 100%, Taipei is quite safe.

You will find young girls returning home alone at 11pm from the Bushiban (Cram Schools) on buses getting off at stops in not so well lit areas and these girls do this nearly everyday all over the city.

Take the same precautions you would when you travel in any place. Walk in lit areas , avoid short cuts through Dark Alleys e.t.c.

If you HAVE to take a cab at night call these numbers for English speaking cabbies, They have all passed a criminal check and had to go through an exam:

http://www.tcdtc.taipei.gov.tw/cgi-bin/SM_theme?pa...

• Lorene

SAFETY AND SECURITY: For the latest security information, Americans traveling abroad should regularly monitor the Department’s Internet web site, where the current Travel Warnings and Public Announcements, including the Worldwide Caution Public Announcement, can be found.

Up to date information on security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the U.S . , or, for callers outside the United States and Canada, a regular toll line at 1-317-472-2328. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

The Department of State urges American citizens to take responsibility for their own personal security while traveling overseas. For general information about appropriate measures travelers can take to protect themselves in an overseas environment, see the Department of State’s pamphlet A Safe Trip Abroad .

CRIME: Although Taiwan is considered a medium risk location for crime, the overall violent crime rate in Taiwan remains relatively low. Travelers should avoid business establishments such as massage parlors, illegal "barbershops", and illegal "nightclubs" because many of these establishments are run by criminals and are located in high crime areas. In contrast to their counterparts, legal barbershops prominently display the usual grooming services. Illegal nightclubs have no advertisement and are publicized by word of mouth only. Public transportation, including the buses and the subway, is generally safe in Taiwan, but women should exercise caution when traveling alone in taxis late at night.

It is pretty safe here. I live in Taichung and have rarely heard of many bad things happening to foreigners. As long as you are vigilant, and have essential protection (spray, zapper, or whatever you feel comfortable carrying) chances are very slim that anything should happen.