i just moved here from Boston and everyone says it

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

whats up

• 1 decade ago

Well mate is another word for friend. so translated i guess it would be 'hi Friend!'.

People here (UK) (I'm guessing you meant that you have moved FROM boston to somewhere either in the UK or austrailia?) also sometimes say stuff like 'he's my mate' or 'I'm going there with my mate' or 'last week i went out with some mates from work' etc so in conclusion.....just another word for friend

Hope that helps

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Dont know where you are hanging out, but I live and work in Boston and never heard anyone say that in 15 years here.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I went to college near Boston, and one year had a room mate for Britain. We got along great, but the difference in the language would sometimes get him in hot water. For instance, we'd be at a pub and he'd meet some co-ed he wanted to get to know better. She'd tell him where she lived and he'd blurt out, "I'll have to come over and knock you up sometime.", then he'd get slapped across the face.

You'd think he would have learned but get a few pints in him and he'd revert right back to it.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

"Hey Mate" means Hello Friend.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

"Hey mate?"

It sounds more Austrailian than Bostonian, where it means "Hi, guy!"

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It means "hi friend".

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.