Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Can you provide a scientifically testible definition of your deity (any deity at all will work)...?

lookn2cjc:

Yes, you can point to any effect that is in violation of fundamental principles of physics.

My position, 'there is no deity' is falsifiable. I have stated how to prove it wrong.

Your position, 'there is a deity', is not, as I see it, falsifiable. What test can I perform that would possibly prove it wrong?

DZE:

Water signatures are found all over the universe, locked up in comets or even dispersed within nebulae.

Water will form any place there is hydrogen and oxygen and sufficient electromagnetic energy to break the O2 and 2 H2 bonds so that they may rearrange into 2 H2O.

Water does not occur only on Earth.

Doug:

I asked for a testible definition.

Further, the paradox of evil proves that 'unconditional love' cannot be a component of a deity.

Lynjen:

I could write a book on the logical errors that permeate 'A Case For Christ'.

Doug:

The Deep Impact mission kicked up quite the cloud of it by smashing into a comet. Europa has sheets of water ice on it.

Don't forget, water can freeze or be a vapor. It's still water, scientifically. Phase changes do not change the fact it's still H2O.

EyeLovesJesus:

Yes, a miracle will work. How about providing the medical documentation?

You are, also of course, aware that the liver is the only organ besides the skin that is capable of regeneration in humans, yes?

Tenzin:

One of the best efforts I've ever seen, I am deeply honored by your answer, thank you. I will need time to think on it.

It seems to me much like I show honor and reverence to both Fenrirulfr from Norse Mythology and Sekhmet from Egyptian mythology even though I do not believe in them as literal beings.

Tenzin:

Fenrirulfr = Fenris Wolf

Tenzin:

On the Kiersey/Myer-Briggs sorter, I'm an INTP.

lookn2jc:

Elsewhere, I've stated evidence I will accept, and you'd like it -- it's straight out of the Bible.

John 20:24-28 [NIV].

24 Now Thomas (called Didymus), one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came.

25 So the other disciples told him, "We have seen the Lord!"

But he said to them, "Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe it."

26 A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you!"

27 Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe."

28 Thomas said to him, "My Lord and my God!"

Think you can arrange this for me?

Favorite Answer

Deities in Eastern Religions of the truest sense iare Archetypal Beings. The common people of course ascribe "human" ideas on them, but it their truest sense, like Buddhas or Bodhisattvas for example, are more the embodiment of a Virtue or a Quality the follower wants to ultimately achieve.

In Chinese Mahayana Buddhism, a large majority are devotees of the Goddess of Mercy ( or Avalokitesvara in Skt., Kuan Yin in Chinese, CHenrezig in Tibetan ) She is known to have "manifested" through out history as various different people, but in essence, such people are Shining examples of which this deity represents ... Great Compassion, Mercy and Kindness. And hence, they are taken as symbols and examples of such a quality for Buddhists to aspire towards. more eg. Manjushri - Bodhisattva of Wisdom, Saraswati - Hindu and Buddhist deity of Art, Poetry and Learning, Dzambala - Deity of Material and Spiritual Wealth... all qualities we want to achieve.

Archetypal Images are studied in Psychology and Psychiatry, which studies the way the mind works and how we relate to the world. Not exactly Physics or Chemistry... but still scientific

Add:

Thank you. I really liked your question, its thought provoking. I am not sure who Fenrirulf is... ( is he a creature similar to a Ceberus? ) in fact Tibetan masters believe the deities we have a mental "liking" to, reveals to ourselves our inner strengths and also weaknesses. Like for example, the Lion Headed Goddess Sekhmet ( there is a similar deity in Tibet - called Singdongma, the Lion Faced Dakini ) is the Egyptian Goddess of War but ironically also the Goddess of Healing. This will probably reveal to you a personality archetype of someone who is a developed personality type that is The Protector archetype (Introverted intutiveness with extraverted feelings) or the Duty Fullfiller archetype (Introverted Sensing with Extraverted thinking) as found in the 16 personality/mind frameworks as found in the study of Personality Archetypes in Psychology ( Fascinating topic )

Jp, dear, you and I both know that there is nothing that anyone could give you as an answer that would REALLY change your mind, now, don't you? Argumentative question? I think so.....

EDIT:

I believe we've danced this dance before Hun....you have two left feet....call it an "evolutionary deformity" ;-)

Like I said, Honey, until you learn to shuffle your feet around some on the dance floor, I wash my hands of you. You have NO desire to learn, you think you can only TEACH. I have a few moves of my own, you know, but your closed mind and hardened heart is still impenetrable.

EDIT:

I also find it quite humbling that you would allow us mere mortals to TRY to measure up to your grandiose expectations of submitting evidence that you STATE you will accept!! That says a LOT about you, sweetie!!

By golly, I believe you found your very own god, (at least the only one YOU'LL acknowledge....YOU)

kisses ;-)

Hello J.P. .. :)

What about a Miracle..From God our Creator..where a liver is healed, ( in just 2 days) after being cut in two..

Scientist cannot test it though.. :(

Because a "True Miracle" defies the laws of nature..

In Jesus Most Precious Name..

With Love..In Christ.. :)

Additional: Yes, I do know the liver does heal itself, but the doctors at Frisbee Memorial Hospital in Rochester, NH said they do not heal that quickly (the only thing they could find was scar tissue where her liver had been cut in two)..It was my daughter Kira, she was in a car accident and in a coma for 8 eight days..she suffered a severe brain injury, 8 broken ribs and a punctured lung..her ribs and her lung healed in only 3 days..she was not supposed to be able to walk or talk normally again..but she is a walking talking Miracle.. :)

JP.

Can Science test Faith?

It's there! Just not tangible!

Why has science not spent the time to count the numbers of hairs on one's scalp?

Even the hairs on my scalp are numbered!

Yet science has deemed that unworthy for some reason.

Why is that?

And the circle has begun once again!

This is to the person that said something about faith, FAITH is belief without proof, thats why its called faith. We have proof, its the BIBLE. And read The Case for Christ, by Lee Stroebel.

Deities are, by definition, supernatural and therefore cannot be empirically tested.

However, deities can be put up to logical tests. Unfortunately for the deities, none of them past the test of logical existence.

• Doug

um...

God is unconditional love.

That should take you a while... :D

Ah yes, Mr. JP, but who is defining evil here? You or God? Can God commit evil? More than that, can you know what a being you don't believe exist's motives are?

Source(s): What you said was interesting: "Water signatures are found all over the universe, locked up in comets or even dispersed within nebulae." Do you have a source?

stupid idea maybe ... but poor a glass of water and thank the powers that be that it exists here when it hasnt been found to exist anywhere else in the universe but on earth ...

By testable I'm assuming you mean a hypothesis that can be tested multiple times in a controlled environment... so i doubt anybody can.

If I could do that, God would no longer have any meaning to me.

"Exalted, immeasurably exalted art Thou above the strivings of mortal man to unravel Thy mystery, to describe Thy glory, or even hint at the nature of Thine Essence." (Baha'u'llah)