Do you consider "sorry, don't know" a cheat as an answer?

I have lately been cruising the old questions with no answers at all. And so very often my answer is chosen as best because it is the only. And sometimes my answer is an elaboration on "I don't know, but . . ." offering whatever advice I can give on how to find out.

But I just answered one that had several answers, and the FIRST one was "Sorry, don't know," without more. Why should anyone get points for that? If that's not a pointless answer, what is?

Yes and I think they are saying "Sorry, don't know" for the two points and they don't care to help people.

I'm with you.It get's to me when someone will ask a question and there answer is yes,and no detail's on how to even get close to doing what they need.These people seem to think the one's asking the question's are aware of how to do everything else on a computer excapt the one question they just ask'ed so why give them any detail.One think most people don't seem to even try to find a answer in the help's or search.But yes the answer's given are pointlless to me,once i see a answer'ed question i pass it by if the answer is right.I'll add to one if need'ed more on it,and use the name of the best answer and say she or he was right .Like you and other's in seven level,if a answer is like were saying there should be a way to remove them right then.Click and delete.Same as question's that are,can I?Better shut this off or i'll get a flag.Later

You only have to look at some of the questions people ask and that will go a long way to explaining the "dumb" answers. It is obvious that some out there have an even lower IQ than George Bush!

And NO, they should not get points!

I think there are times when you can shed light on a question by saying you don't know and explaining why.

If you ask me when the world will end, I will answer I don't know. But I don't feel this is a cheat. I think it's a reasonable way to answer the question.

i was tempted to write sorry, dont know but im sure someone else will. it sucks doesnt it. i have asked a serious question a few times and i have recieved answers like $##@%^&. i mean thanks for nothing. but if you trying to get to the next level i guess you just put in any old answer. so i suppose "i dont know!"

You are right, they are answering, to say diddly for the points.If you don't know, don't answer.

agree with u

When it gets clipped down even more as "IDK" and i do consider it a cheat answer

sorry, don't know

sorry!! i dont know!!