What was the best news story of your lifetime?

I suppose most of us would choose 9/11/01 as the worst, but what was the best? Do you remember where you were and who was with you when you heard about it? How did you react?

When the US put a man on the moon. I watched the whole thing on TV.

Second Best, when the Berlin Wall came down.

The best news story of my lifetime was the newspapers, TV, and radio announcement in 1961 that John F. Kennedy had been elected President of the United States.

I was 20 years old, not old enough to vote; but, my husband was 23, and voted for the first time. All our college friends were ecstatic over Kennedy's election. Here was a man, only a little over 20 years our age, giving us hope that there was a future: A future we could be a part of, a purpose we could contribute to.

At the time of Kennedy's election, I was secretary to the Security Officer of General Dynamics at Altus Air Force Base, Altus, Oklahoma. My husband was working for a sub-contractor installing the Atlas Missile at various sites in Southwestern Oklahoma.

We felt America was on the precipice of glory. We had our King Arthur! Jacqueline was our Guineviere!

Probably when I woke to the news of Saddam getting caught in a rat hole.

Is news ever good? I think I subscribe to the wrong paper. All my paper has in it are sad/upsetting stories.

headlines aren't very good to be honest. They aren't meant to be