Eastern European Immigrants?

I know Polish people are extremely hard working and will do some rubbish jobs and don't get paid well. But I really don't think people realise what is happening in this country. They are allowed to work for something far below the national minimum wage. Because of this, companies are employing them as... show more I know Polish people are extremely hard working and will do some rubbish jobs and don't get paid well. But I really don't think people realise what is happening in this country. They are allowed to work for something far below the national minimum wage. Because of this, companies are employing them as cheap labour. Where I live, we don't have many jobs, mostly factories, we are all working class and work for crap wages ourselves. No job is below any of us. My boyfriend works 12 hour night shifts in a factory and alot of people I know do. I work in a supermarket, which isn't exactly my career of choice. I have many qaulifications that are useless and I really don't want to move away from my family or home to get a better job. My partner has to travel miles out of town to get to work. The point is, they are taking the few jobs we have and I don't think it's fair. The government should ban these companies from paying the Poles so little.
Update: What if someone is in their 50's and not very well educated. They wouldn't be able to find any low skilled work and are not educated enough to find a better paid job, what should they do?
Update 2: Bob, they do get paid less than minimum wage it is a fact! I don't mind working anywhere, I just hate it when people say we are all being racist or whatever voicing our concerns about this. Not everyone can move and not everyone wants to leave their families to get another job. If we all did that we would be... show more Bob, they do get paid less than minimum wage it is a fact! I don't mind working anywhere, I just hate it when people say we are all being racist or whatever voicing our concerns about this. Not everyone can move and not everyone wants to leave their families to get another job. If we all did that we would be stealing the jobs of another town. I don't think it's fair on us or the immigrants.
Update 3: Keep your statements to yourself thankyou, you know what I am saying is true, exploitation of immigrants and not fair for people who are not educated enough to get a better job. My partner spends half his wages on petrol money to get to work. We are not all upper class twits making remarks on things we know... show more Keep your statements to yourself thankyou, you know what I am saying is true, exploitation of immigrants and not fair for people who are not educated enough to get a better job. My partner spends half his wages on petrol money to get to work. We are not all upper class twits making remarks on things we know nothing about. And personally I don't know anybody on the dole, perhaps that's a rare thing these days.
Update 4: Ok then, say I wanted to move but my partner doesn't or my children, I can't just leave them all to get a better job now can I. Yeah that's it I'll split up with my boyfriend because I want a career change.
Update 5: Anyway! why should I leave my home because of immigrants!! Maybe I love where I live. And like I said we don't mind doing these jobs but someone else taking them is a bit unfair wouldn't you say? Do you want to live in a country of people being paid far below minimum wage and living in poverty? How silly... show more Anyway! why should I leave my home because of immigrants!! Maybe I love where I live. And like I said we don't mind doing these jobs but someone else taking them is a bit unfair wouldn't you say? Do you want to live in a country of people being paid far below minimum wage and living in poverty? How silly that people want to have a country like that. 8 Polish people are crammed into the house we sold, with the living room converted into a bedroom, I know this because a friend has been to one of their parties. Is that a good life? NO.
Update 6: Serge you gave me a good answer, thankyou. The thing is I am not a materialistic person, I don't want to earn a huge salary to buy whatever I want, I just want to live in the place that I grew up, is that such a wrong thing? I would have no problem what so ever if the immigrants were paid the same. I am all... show more Serge you gave me a good answer, thankyou. The thing is I am not a materialistic person, I don't want to earn a huge salary to buy whatever I want, I just want to live in the place that I grew up, is that such a wrong thing? I would have no problem what so ever if the immigrants were paid the same. I am all for immigration, the NHS would come to a stand still if we didn't have foreign doctors. Maybe we should be more competative but I love my life and it saddens me that I should have to move just for a bit more money. People are obsessed with money these days.
Update 7: petrovitc i think u may be takin the p*ss a bit lol = ) but anyway, I think everyone agrees that they work hard. Maybe I should go to get a job somewhere else. But what about people who can't get a better job, what if they are in their 40's or 50's and haven't got many qualifications. They... show more petrovitc i think u may be takin the p*ss a bit lol = ) but anyway, I think everyone agrees that they work hard. Maybe I should go to get a job somewhere else. But what about people who can't get a better job, what if they are in their 40's or 50's and haven't got many qualifications. They wouldn't be able to find a better job. What should we do about them?
Update 8: I wanted to see if employers can get away with this, so I looked it up. It said migrant (put the right word there this time lol) workers by law should be paid minimum wage but many companies still plead ignorance. It said alot of companies still get away with it. Maybe the government should crack down on this... show more I wanted to see if employers can get away with this, so I looked it up. It said migrant (put the right word there this time lol) workers by law should be paid minimum wage but many companies still plead ignorance. It said alot of companies still get away with it. Maybe the government should crack down on this becasue this happens everywhere around here. I'm not sure many people are aware of their rights and nothing is done about it. Maybe I should do something! I don't know how far I'd get and how to go about doing it. I agree with you all that it's not the migrants we should have an issue with but the companies who get away with it..