How go I get a copy of a DD214....fast..........????

My father was a Vietnam Vet and just passed away. I need a copy of his DD214 (discharge papers) in order to give him a military burial. I need them fast....very fast..... Any ideas?

• Todd C
    Favorite Answer

Some people file it at court house you might ask last employer for file of work record. TRY VA.gov but it may take awhile if he is a member of VFW maybe the have it on file. Good luck

If he belonged to DAV or a post or anything they would have a copy. If not call Phone 1 800 827 1000.. That's the VA #. in actuality the funeral home deals with these issues all the time. They could probably get some things done faster than you can. As far benefits on what they will pay there are a lot of different reasons for paying certain amounts. My husband was 100% disabled when he passed away. The military gave him his plot his plaque and transportation to the funeral. Don't let them mess ya around. You're father was a vet and deserves a veteran funeral.

hang in there

Go straight to the clerk of court and if he is deceased, they will give it to you on the spot, That's what we did, And I think it costed us 5.00. You can't get a copy of any DD214 if they are still living though. Trying to get them online takes forever, this is the fastest way.

Source(s): been there done it
  • Susan

You're now chatting with a random stranger. Say hi! Stranger: hey You: OMFG don't kill me! Stranger: ill try not to! Stranger: Same goes for you! You: Wait.....you don't own a white van do you?? Stranger: Im not going into any dark allys any time soon! Stranger: with candy in it? oh those are my favorite kind! You: *gasp* Stranger: please just keep it between us! You: wha- what kind of candy?? Stranger: we have a bond that cannot ever be broken! Stranger: Oh you know just whatever you like ;) Stranger: but i usually have all types to lure the children in You: But of course. Stranger: usually my lost puppy helps too You: OMG you lost your puppy? Awwww Stranger: I know I just have been so depressed! Will you help me look for it? Your conversational partner has disconnected. The jacka'ss wouldn't even give me time to ask what kind it was.

He didn't file a copy at the local court house? Go check with the county clerk. Otherwise, fast, not gonna happen.

Oh yeah, check his personal papers, it may be in there somewhere.

if you are trying to save money by using a military burial, they do not pay for that much and it will depend on how many years of service he gave , i lost an uncle in August this year nad he had one , and they dont provide very much at all , but you can try , Vets Admin. they will take forever.

sorry for your loss , and good luck , Lb

.

I am sorry to hear that, I appreciate his service and wish he were here to hear it. First check to see if he registered it with your local clerk if not, go to http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-... then you can request it on line at their web page; fax it or write them. The VA employee at the cemetery can help you and to get it expedited.

God Bless You and your Dad and the Southern People.

The department of vetran affairs will help with that you will need his socal security number full name birth day... typicaly takes a few days for them to hunt up the form... a freind of mine just sent off for his and was told a week...

Visit or call your local DAV office and they will assist you. You can also go on line to the branch of service that he was in and get help. Another option is to call the VA. Salute him for me.

Call your local Veterans Administration.