How do you counteract a control freak?

Or do we need to? Should we just walk away? Or is that the solution?

Give them nothing to control.

It really is as simple as that. It might not be simple to enact and put into practice if this is a person that is a boss, family member, etc.

But "control freaks" have earned that euphemism for a reason...and people shouldn't have to put up with it...so if counseling and medication have failed to control their inner freakishness...give them nothing of yourself to control...and remove yourself from their "control."

Too late to change a control freak! They just need to learn to respect you & appreciate the things you do instead of taking inventory of the mistakes you make! I would just walk away & then talk about it later. The solution really lies within the controlling person,..... they need to learn that they can never control the outcome of human behaviors.

Hmmm...

I usually walk away.

I can't stand people that need to have things done in a certain way.

I'm so eclectic in everything i do. I just can't afford to be dictated. I'm scared of what i'd do if i have to live by somebody else's "standards" or "guidelines".

But i suppose (for the sake of "peace"), you could just chill out and do what they want.

It does depend on the type of control they desire though. In a workplace if they're your boss, it's better to just shut up and do what they want. But if you have nothing to lose, walk away. In a relationship, i think it's important to compromise. Have a conversation about it where you state your views and then execute a course of action from there.

• Antny

As of this moment, I am now in total control of what you are reading. These words are echoing through your mind. You have no choice but to inscribe these words and only these words- written solely by me, controlled only by me, directly into your head. I'm in your head now! I AM in COMPLETE CONTROL!!! Isn't that freaky?? How DOES that make you feel???

Ok, I'm done. You can walk away now.

I know so many types of these kinds of people and deal with them differently. Most of the time, walking away really is a good retaliation countermeasure. It pisses them off most of the time because it deprives them of what they desire most- control... and leaves me with what I, in this situation, love most- that gratification!

With some of the others, it's just as fun to make them only think that they have control of you, while you are keeping in mind that their demands or ideas were really yours to begin with.

"Control Freak"- more freak than control, I think.

Reminds me of the movie "Sleeping with the Enemy." I would leave like the character played by Julia Roberts did. Life is simply too short.

It depends on the situation. Usually I will try to walk away and ignore it.

But if someone gets in my face and tries to manipulate/control me......I just point blank tell them....NO GO.....in my usual diplomatic aplomb. They do get the message....lol

• Eric C

walk away the only way

I say "What" an awful lot, then there is "Uh,HUH", and finally

just self induced apathy. after about 10 minutes or so they disappear.

Wait till they say something stupid, then do EXACTLY as they say. When someone asks, tell them who told you to do it.

• SPLATT

`Random acts of blindness.