Grounding a car accessory?

I purchased two interior accent lights for my car and I want to hook them up to the electrical system. The instructions say to attach one of the wires to "ground" it. What should I attach the wires to in order to do this?

8 Answers

  • bill j
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

    any metal part of the chasis, under any screw

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Anywhere on the chassis of the car , which is anything , or anywhere, that is metal and not part of a circuit. For example, you can drill a small hole ( in a spot that has no hoses, electrical parts , switches , etc.) under the dash on the passanger side floor and then run the wire through to the area underneath the hood. Then you can connect it to anything metal under the hood that won't interfere with anything. Go to an auto part store for a connecter to put on the end of the wire after you push it thru the hole

  • 1 decade ago

    Cars use a one wire system.

    In other words the steel in the car is the ground side of the electrical system.

    Attach the ground wire to an internal support and make sure you clean the area with sand paper to get a good ground.

  • 1 decade ago

    what i always did is run the ground wirte with the power wire which was usually somewhere under the hood and use a stock ground, but if you have alot of acceseries you will want to buy some heavy duty ground cable as big as stock and add another big ground to your battery

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    Any Metal which is attached to the frame or engine block. Simply touch the wire to any handy screw and see if it lights up.....if so, use it.

  • 1 decade ago

    just attach it to the bare metal frame of the car because the whole car is a ground.

  • 1 decade ago

    peel the paint from any metal part of your body, drill a hole, crimp the wire to a ring connector, and attach the connector to the body metal using a screw. if you are totally confused... message me... i was a 12 volt installer for 5 years.

  • 1 decade ago

    Metal, find an existing screw that touches metal unscrew, wrap the wire around and srew back in.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.