My boyfriend smokes and its really gross, what to do?

When I first started dating my boyfriend, he smoked. He decided to quit two weeks later, and didn't smoke for a few months. Then he moved in and quit his job and took 2 weeks to find another one. He started to get really stressed out and would sneak around behind my back to smoke (but I could always tell b/c I... show more When I first started dating my boyfriend, he smoked. He decided to quit two weeks later, and didn't smoke for a few months. Then he moved in and quit his job and took 2 weeks to find another one. He started to get really stressed out and would sneak around behind my back to smoke (but I could always tell b/c I could smell it on his breath). Now, two months later, it is ruining our relationship. He knows I hate it, and don't like to kiss him when he smokes, but he can't keep from buying cigs when he gets "stressed out". I tell him stress will always be there and he says "i'm punishing myself i hate smoking". Yet, he still goes out and buys cigs. Every coulple days he'll try quitting and want me to be all supportive, but then gets stressed out, says that I am adding to his stress level and smokes anyways. Its pissing me off but i can't really say anything cause he doesn't do it around me.What to do?
Update: i started dating him cause he was fun to be with and was talking about quitting, and didn't do it around me much. He still doesn't smoke around me (i won't allow it in the house) but I can't stand the ashtray breath.. yuck.