When should you tell your child the truth about Santa, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, etc.?

don't tell them, wait until they figure it out for themselves, enjoy the innocence....

It is my belief that you should be honest with them from the beginning. If you are a person who believes in God think of it like this...You have a child, at 3 or 4 years old you have raised them to think The Easter Bunny, Santa, The Tooth Fairy and Jesus/God are all real. All intangible right? Then one day, when you see fit, you say "ok, santa, the easter bunny, the tooth fairy, they were all made up, just pretend, but Jesus/God, he is real." How are they supposed to believe you?

Also, it does take away from the true meaning of those holidays (if you let it get out of control)

I have 5 KIDS. Ages 4 to 15. The older ones thank me for not lying to them about it. The young ones know the truth as well.

In our house, our kids know the truth.

Regarding the tooth fairy, when my kids lose a tooth, they come with the tooth in hand, "Mom, I've lost a tooth, how much will you give me for it?" I think it's great :)

• Tell them the truth! Santa, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy are all part of the same organization and keep us all happy and safe on holidays, and whenever we loose teeth. Why would you want to keep this from your children ?

• wein

that is my concept which you may desire to be easy with them from the initiating. once you're a individual who believes in God think of of it like this...you have a baby, at 3 or 4 years old you have raised them to think of The Easter Bunny, Santa, The the enamel Fairy and Jesus/God are all genuine. All intangible top? Then sooner or later, once you spot greater wholesome, you assert "ok, santa, the easter bunny, the the enamel fairy, they have been all made up, merely fake, yet Jesus/God, he's genuine." How are they meant to have faith you? additionally, it does eliminate from the actual meaning of those trip trips (in case you permit it get uncontrolled) I certainly have 5 childrens. a protracted time 4 to fifteen. The older ones thank me for no longer mendacity to them approximately it. The youthful ones comprehend the certainty to boot. In our homestead, our little ones comprehend the certainty. with regard to the the enamel fairy, whilst my childrens lose a the enamel, they comprise the the enamel in hand, "mom, i've got lost a the enamel, how a lot will you supply me for it?" i think of that is super :)

Personally, I think it's OK to go along with the fairy tales when they are very young, but when they get old enough to start asking questions, really detailed questions like, how does Santa visit every house in the whole world on one night, etc., it's probably time to just go ahead and tell them the truth. I just know when I was a kid, I got to a point where I just kept wondering and asking about the details. One of the biggest ones that bugged me was why is it that, in every Santa story, the elves make the presents like wooden trains and such, but when I open my presents, Barbie is in her original packaging :-p My Dad kept trying to keep the lie going by saying things like they close Toys'R'Us down at night so Santa can go shopping and stuff like that :-p But, at that point, it wasn't a magical story to me anymore, it was just a frustrating puzzle. Finally, at the dinner table one night, I was asking more questions and my Dad finally took me into the other room to tell me the truth, but made me promise not to tell my younger brothers and sister. It did make me feel kind of superior that I knew something they didn't :-p But, mostly I just felt relieved. I wasn't upset or anything... I just thought to myself, "It all makes sense now..." :-p

Jeesh, enough honesty already, how 'boout a little imagination? Do you guys not tell fairy stories either, simply because fairies don't exist as far as we know? Sense of humor bypass much?

As for the question, never tell them that, ever. If you want to introduce them to magic, to the possibility of things they can't see, why not fill their world with stories that help them learn positive lessons? If and when the other kids at school tell them none of these things exist, they'll be old enough to appreciate the sense of what you did if you explain it to them.

Tooth fairy

tell them the truth from the gitgo- why feed a child a line of horsepucky? Most of the stuff has evolved from pagan traditions into money making icons, why support it in the first place? unless of course you are pagan, or one of the money makers.

No need to tell them. They will figure it out by themselves.

Their friends will give them a clue. Let them enjoy the mystery as long as you can! Kids need a little mystery and to have fun and excitement "waiting for the goodies".

Let them figure it out on their own, its magical when you are a child, I was crushed when I found out. They will let you know, my 7 year old knows but wont say anything to me, I think he knows it means the world to me to make the holidays special for him so he's not telling me that he doesnt believe.

• Jordan

If you've already got him believing all of that, then tell him (or her for that matter)once a few of his peers start suggesting the truth. That way he won't spoil it for them, but won't get teased to bad for believing it too long either.