At what age should you tell a child that The Easter Bunny, The Tooth Fairy, and Santa Claus aren't "real"?

.........they are 7 & 9 and they are very smart. They caught the "Tooth Fairy" with a tooth, now they question every thing. It's so hard to redirect them, I can't lie to them. So I end up laughing about it which encourages their thinking that they don't exist.

Favorite Answer

They probably already have figured it out...however...because I believe in the spirit of the season...I think you should keep up the game, and not tell them the truth about this one.

If they ask, don't lie, just don't tell them the truth either. Be evasive. "Mom, is Santa Claus real?",,,"Well he left you toys, right? Oh, look at the time I need to call your aunt sue..."

There is no reason to just cut it off entirely. Even kids who have figured it out still enjoy it because of the mystery of it...the "what if he WAS real" factor.\

I don't think this type of lying falls under the category of bad parenting. I think this falls under the category of trying to keep the world wonderful and magical for your children..and we all need to do that as long as possible because it becomes all too real all too soon for all of us.

I Think The Best Time To Tell Your Child Is When There 8.I Say 8 Because You Dont Want Your Child Been 10 And He Thinks Santa Or The Easter Bunny Is Real.Also You Dont Want One Of His Friends Telling him/her That Its Not Real,I Think he/she Will Thank You Later.

So what if they don't think it exists. They can still have the idea of Santa and The Easter Bunny but know that it's not real. There's nothing wrong with that. My sis was much younger when she figured out it wasn't real and she's no worse for it. For those that think it's horrible of you to say that they're not real on yahoo answers - if your kids are that young and going on yahoo answers and dont know that santa's not real then they deserve it. Knowing santa is not real is not the end of the world.

What are you smoking lady? The Easter Bunny is Real,And so is Santa Claus and The Tooth Fairy, as long as you have them in your heart they are real.You never tell anyone that they are not real. They have to figure things out for themselves.

26

The same age they ask about them. Always tell your children the truth! no matter what it is! Because if they find out you lied to them about one thing they might not trust you about anything. Besides Santa and the Bunny have nothing to do with Christmas and Easter they're about the Birth of our Lord Jesus Christ and his death and his Resection!

What do you mean they are not real? I am 33 and still believe in them. My parents never told me their were not real. [I am serious, I am not making a joke ~ I think I realized that it was my parents when I was a teenager, but I never let on because I still enjoy the excitement and anticipation of the holidays ~ and I never wanted to disappoint my parents ~ they always tried to make these special and memoriable for me when I was a child and I love them more for it.]

Source(s): Shhh, don't tell my Dad, he would be so upset, he loves Christmas.

You don't need to tell them, they will figure it out when they are ready. I was about 8 and overheard my mom tell my grandma that she'd eaten too much chocolate the night before and something in my head went ding,ding,ding. I figured it out because I was ready and somewhere in my mind I must have already been having doubts or I wouldn't have put 2 and 2 together so quickly.

• me

When they get to the age where other children know that they aren't real and might tell them at school. I think it is better for the parents to tell the child.

You do realize there are children on here that very well might believe in these things? You could have just opened up a whole lot of unnecessary conversations in households all over the world...Congrats