What is the best way to Backup my windows Server/Computer?

I have a HP office server from which 4 other HP PC's operate via a gigabit switch. All the profiles and files are stored on the server.

I do not have a raid setup and as such if my main HD went bang then I'd be in some trouble. How can I back this up without going to the trouble of have a raid setup installed?

I don't want to buy a large USB removable HD because they are slow and only need one corrupt file to cancel the whole copy backup process.

Was a NAS drive be the way forward and if so how do they work / can you recommend?

If another option then please suggest also?

Many thanks

Tim

Favorite Answer

KEY POINT - you seem to be misunderstanding - RAID is NOT backup - it's redundancy. If you a file is corrupt it's corrupt on the RAID as well. RAID protects from disk failure - which WILL happen at some point. It does NOT protect from fire, theft, corruption, viruses, accidental deletion, acts of god.

The best solution is a USB external hard drive (or for faster connections, FireWire 800 or eSATA). I don't know where you got this idea that one corrupt file kills the backup - I've used external hard drives for YEARS and never seen that kind of problem. I backup systems using NTBackup (the built in 2003 backup utility) or using Acronis True Image (but for Server, this is EXPENSIVE).

I suggest you read my article on backup to get a better understanding of the topic - I admit, I've not had the chance to update it much lately, but it's still VERY applicable in most areas.

See: http://www.lwcomputing.com/tips/static/backup.asp

Best Way To Backup Server

There are a lot of ways to back up a server...backup software to tape backup is the most common in a corporate setting.

However, in a small office, usually it is done "on the cheap".

Without a systems administration background and professional software, fully restoring a server with a failed drive is highly unlikely.

Your best bet is to copy the files you need regularly to removable media, and store at least one recent set off-site (in case the location becomes compromised...fire...flood...etc).

Removable media can be an external drive, DVDs, tapes, and a variety of other options. Just copy the data that is important, and plan on rebuilding the server installation and file locations from scratch should the drive fail.

Windows backup, a batch file, or cheap/free software can do this for you. For small offices, I have recommended the program "Backup to CD RW/DVD RW". It is easy and inexpensive.

I do consult on such matters...you can email if you want a pro to evaluate on a larger set of criteria.

Your server can be redone with a mirrored drive set without a lot of complexity. I would recommend doing so, but you still MUST backup if you value your data. There are many reasons besides complete drive failure to need to restore data from backup.

• Adrian

Do you want to backup just the data, or the entire system (image backup)?

NAS is ok, and so are other external drives.

Acronis has a trial version of backup software, and there are many others - search the internet.

I use Acronis to make image backups of my web server (Linux-based) to a Windows desktop, and it works fine over the network. I've restored the image onto another computer, to test the recovery, and everything worked...

All the backup software can do file backups (folders - documents, databases, etc.) as well, online without doing an image backup.

Image backups require you to shut down the machine, and boot a "Backup Utility" CD to properly do the image backup...

BackupmyPc is great program for me. You can download in http://bit.ly/1j3wSic