I have been able to purchase electronic devices on eBay, even new devices, at much lower cost than retail. I have had trouble with only one seller who advertised new and sold me a phone where the battery went from full to 3% in two days (definitely not new,) and was not able to be activated because it was attached...
Best answer: I have been able to purchase electronic devices on eBay, even new devices, at much lower cost than retail. I have had trouble with only one seller who advertised new and sold me a phone where the battery went from full to 3% in two days (definitely not new,) and was not able to be activated because it was attached to someone else's account. I assume it was stolen, and I did get my money back, wasting a little over two weeks time with all the hassle. But that said, most of the time I do well, and have been pleased with my purchases. You have to read the auction description thoroughly, and look at the seller's ratings (the bad experience I had with the seller who had 100% positive ratings) which most of the time is helpful. You might be able to get what you need at significant savings this way .
Another thing to do is ask your parents directly why they allow your brother to have a phone and not you, and, what has to happen before you will be able to have a phone. It may be that their financial situation has changed and making such a purchase won't work in their budget right now. If that's the case, ask them to tell you so you know. If there is a way you can earn money at home, ask them to tell you that too.
To be truthful, I would not spend hundreds of dollars on electronics for an 11 year old or a 13 year old, but I would not be comfortable treating children in the same family so obviously differently, allowing one to have a phone and not the other. When my children were your ages, no kids had phones, but a lot of kids had Nintendo. We said no because it was not our value. My grown adult children today have told us that they feel the decisions we made, though not very well received at the time, were the best we could have made for them, and they have thanked us.
We have a 13 year old that my daughter and I helped to purchase an iPhone 5S, but it will be activated when she is able to pay her own monthly phone costs. Meanwhile, she can use it when WiFi is available, which is most places. My granddaughter paid 60% of the costs from money she saved from doing chores, and my daughter and I each split the remaining 40%; the total cost was $124.05 on eBay; it came with three cases and works beautifully. The reason we agreed to help out is because she is home schooled and being able to connect with others her age is good since she doesn't see others her age regularly in a school setting. She loses access to the phone if she doesn't get her daily homework done.
It is hard to be age 13 and feel so left out. I am sorry that has happened to you. No one deserves to be bullied for what they do not have that then makes them different than their peer group. I do think you will survive, as my kids did without Nintendo, but it is a difficult situation meanwhile. Keep talking to your parents about what has to happen for you to be able to have your own phone.
6 hours ago